So I’m sharing a few recipes at the moment and thought this Smokey veg fried eggs one could be handy as this time of year even if it’s not the usual flavours we are accustomed to.
If you’re eating out often, it can be a bit harder to get your vegetable quota in during the day. Eating vegetables for breakfast, and a colourful variety of them is a great way to pack in the nutrients first thing and if you love BBQ smokey flavour then this recipe is for you – I love it!
This is a great breakfast or brunch for the weekend – it’s super easy and simple too. It takes a little time but if you could up double on a Sunday, you can enjoy the leftovers on Monday morning to save you valuable time (that you could use to get the Christmas cards out!).
Also works as a quick lunch or dinner. If you’re not a spicy hot fan then just tone down the spices a little to your preference.
Smokey vegetable eggs
Serves 2 (or serves one and makes a meal for another day)
- 1 courgette
- 1 green pepper
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander powder
- Salt & pepper
- 1 small sweet potato
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp butter/ghee/coconut oil
- Heat the fat on a low-med heat in a large pan (use a medium pan if just serving 1) and meanwhile chop the green pepper & sweet potato into 1 cm cubes.
- Add to the pan with the the chipotle, coriander and season with salt and pepper. Mix and fry for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile chop the courgette into 1cm cubes and then add to the pan to fry.
- Turn on the grill to a medium heat.
- Continue to fry the vegetables until the sweet potato is cooked to your liking. I like mine not too soft and a little crunchy (about 5 mins cooking time)
- Create a well in the middle, add a smidge more cooking fat and break the eggs into the pan.
- Cook over the hob heat for 1 ½ minutes and then transfer to the grill. Grill for another 2 ½ minutes and then serve.
- Serve with fresh coriander and ¼ of an avocado.
- If serving just one, siphon off half of the vegetables in another dish after cooking. Let them cool and to store in the fridge. You could also pre-boil 2 of the eggs to have with them.
- Like it less spicy? Swap the chipolte for cumin powder.
- All coloured peppers, carrots and onion can also work well in this recipe.
Any questions about the recipe? Fancy trying it? Eggs and veggies with some avocado and you can’t go wrong!
Time to change around sugar?
Love this recipe but feel like you are not sure where to start with recalibrating your tastebuds, dealing with emotional eating, changing habits etc? Then check out my free 4-video training course which describes my four pillars to embrace a low sugar lifestyle and sends you LOADS of other helpful resources to get started.